Thursday, April 30
masters!!??
I've always had a bad attitude about masters swim classes. Maybe it's because the only ones I've seen have been full of cocky, fast, annoying swimmers. This is purely a judgement on my part because I have not actually ever been to a masters swim practice. I've only observed from the next lane over at the Plymouth club as well as heard them talking after in the locker room. I just got this vibe that they think they're cool. Well, maybe they are, I don't know... but I just didn't want to be a part of it. And, I admit, I'm sure it had plenty to do with the fact that I don't consider myself a very strong swimmer and my insecurities were again getting the best of me. But, in the spirit of facing fears and coming out of that comfort zone... I tried a masters class. I did it!! Darcy has been talking about a friend of hers that started one at the Crosstown club. I've met this friend at the Surly Brewery Tour (she likes beer? hmmm), Darcy said I should just come and try it... well, after a completely pathetic swim "workout" at the pool alone I decided I would give it a shot. What the heck. So, I did! And, let me tell you... I walked out of the club that day with the biggest grin. I am just so stoked. This is what I need! I'm not the fastest one on the team, but I'm not the SNL synchronized swimmer guy either!! I really like how she posts the workouts a little at a time on the dry-erase board. The workout doesn't seem intimidating that way and it goes by really fast. I swam for an hour, can't remember the last time I did that alone. She also throws in other strokes for variety, gives technique advice along the way, we do drills, kicking and more. It is just so great and I am still completely shocked that I loved it so much. I walked straight to the tennis desk and paid for May. Bring it!