Monday, August 24

6 mile tempo & Baby Alex

Most importantly, Baby Alex was born today!!!! Yay, congrats Linds & Jeff, he is absolutely aDOREable.

Before heading off to visit baby Alex in the hospital, I did my tempo run. I admit I was a bit hesitant even stepping out the door. The motivation had seeped out of me rather quickly between the hours of 4 and 5. The pace goals seemed a bit fiesty and I was hungry for dinner. I knew if I procrastinated any longer it would not get done and with a hectic week, there was no time for make-ups. Just get out the door!

ok, out the door I finally went and I cranked up some tunes. The first mile was a warm-up and so I slowly jogged down to Lake Nokomis. I set the Garmin once I hit the lake and go, go, go... I kept watching my average pace and it was looking pretty good for the first couple of miles, 7:19-7:21. Maybe the long red light and water stop helped? I turned around at mile 2 figuring I was about 3 miles from home and that would give me my 5-mile tempo. Once I turned around, I quickly realized I had a tailwind for the first 2 miles, which meant I now had a nasty headwind. Uh-oh. I pushed through and finally hit a red light right around mile 4. Catch my breath! I checked my average pace and it was 7:22. Ok, I can do this. My goal is 7:25, I just have a little over a mile to go. Well, that last mile was killer. I watched my pace go down and just as I was rounding the last corner to get home it hit 7:25. Push it! Don't let it get any higher!!!... and STOP! Phew, 7:25 average, right on the dot. That was a close one.