Saturday, August 8

TCM Training begins

Although I've technically been training for the Twin Cities Marathon for a few weeks now, along with the tri-training, I am now officially focused on the marathon training. And so... my first long run of the season - 18 miles - done. I honestly was a little worried about my lack of long run miles. I've been working hard at track, getting a couple tempo & hill runs in as well as swimming and some biking, but the long runs seem to be so important. Is a "being out there" for over 5 hours (half-iron) really enough to consider a long run like I had convinced myself? I've noticed some uncertainty creep in the past week as I geared up for the 18 miles that I kept noticing on my training calendar. A big, scary 18 flashing at me. I got up and headed out the door this morning around 7:15. I was letting the thunderstorm pass by, but also wanting to beat the humidity coming in around noon. Even at mile 2 I was questioning able to do this run. I was drenched in humid-sweat by the first water-stop. Should I bag it and try again tomorrow? hmmm, the weather forecast didn't seem to be much different. Also, I really wanted to drink a glass of wine tonight. ok, I'll keep at it.

Long story short, I finished the run. I stopped checking my pace and decided the one and only goal was going to be to finish all 18 miles. Goal accomplished! I was so happy I did it and didn't end up postponing. It was great to be back on the familiar long run trails along the river and parkway. It reminded me of last fall and there is just no better time to train for a marathon than fall.

So... the Twin Cities Marathon training is... officially ON!