Saturday, January 2

twenty on the tready, er - treadies

I woke up yesterday morning (not hungover, thank you very much) to the new year feeling refreshed and ready to plan out and conquer some new goals and then it hit me... wait. what? I need to do what? I had a bit of a panicked feeling. I was literally lying in bed and remembered what I needed to do as far as a workout that day - 20 miles. 20 miles... on the... TREADMILL!!!!!

Well, to make a long story short, I accomplished it. It was not easy, but I am so happy I did it and have even lived to blog about it. I believe the biggest gain to come from this workout was not in the legs department, but in the head department. I pushed through some tough mental battles and I believe that is good practice for marathon day, and ironman day.

Here are a few things that helped me get through this workout:
-I picked out my favorite Lulu shirt and my favorite running shorts. I also sported my new headsweats visor, love that thing.
-I loaded up the ipod with some good tunes and made sure I had enough power to last the entire time, no technical difficulty excuse to quit.
-I split up the workout into 4 x 5 miles and switched treadmills between each interval. New scenery - new people to watch, TVs to stare at and new numbers to watch.

All of these things helped out a lot. My favorite treadmill was the first one I picked. It was way in the back corner overlooking the pool. I watched people swimming and got a good view out the window as well. I liked this treadmill so much, I went back to it for interval #4, miles 16-20. Good times!