After the warm-up I set the buttons to my 7:30 pace and then thought, hey this isn't terrible. Well about a mile later I was still feeling comfortable and, dare I say, feeling really good! Well, there were still 4 miles to go and I wasn't about to count my chickens before they hatched. So, I just clicked along. And pretty soon I was 3 miles into it and then it hit me. This feels good. This is what I have been waiting for! My heartrate wasn't jumping way up, I was relaxed, felt comfortable and for the first time in a long time, I was enjoying this pace! I was so excited. I almost did 6 miles, but decided to honor the recovery week thing.
I thought about it and think maybe part of the reason is because I have fresh legs coming off a day off. Maybe I'm getting more in shape or a combination of the two. But whatever it is... I'll take it. And that was a valuable lesson for me... just because I felt like crap, doesn't mean the workout will be crap. Lesson learned.