:)
Monday, August 10
long ass tempo
I did my first tempo run tonight and am soooo happy to report it is done and the numbers matched up! Yay! The workout on the calendar was 8 miles, 1 w/u, 6 @ 7:40, 1 c/d. These are going to be the tough mental runs for me, practicing what it's like out on the course when all I want to do is sit down on the side of the road. At one point I checked my mileage and a number of expletives came to mind when I saw the number: 1.8. wtf? I seriously have to hold this pace for 6 miles!?? Will I ever feel relaxed? Well, thankfully the answer to both of those questions is "yes". It's a good reminder that when it gets really tough out there, it will go away and I will feel ok in a bit. I like the garmin keeping me honest. I also enjoyed my route. I ran to Lake Nokomis for a warm-up and did 2 loops of the lake (plus a little added bridge) to get to exactly 6 miles, then cool-down on the way home. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have this one behind me. Now, when I do my next one I will have the confidence to know that I CAN keep these paces.