Mike wasn't running the race so I was left to figure out race details on my own. I ended up taking the bus with Todd & Darcy down to the metrodome and that worked out great. The weather report was looking to be basically perfect. 50s, overcast. The biggest question was whether to wear a long or short-sleeved shirt. I went with both and ended up tossing the long sleeve within a few miles. I kept my gloves on the whole time though, interesting. Anyway, my goal was 3:30. I actually trained for a 3:25, but never completely trained mentally for it which I think was a major mistake. For me, I think you have to commit right from the get go and when people ask you about time goals throughout training, you say it. You say it loud and clear, mostly so that you will hear, not them, they could care less. This was my mistake. People would ask and I would dance around it and explain maybe if I feel it, blah, blah, blah. I never convinced myself and even the few days before the race I was still not sure. So, I gave myself an easy out and started saying 3:30 was really what I wanted. Lesson learned.
I ran the first few miles with Todd, we were both very focused on keeping the pace in check and not going out too hard. Mission accomplished, we ended up with great first mile splits. Pretty soon, Todd left and went on with his 3:20 finishing time goals. I was trying to keep my average pace somewhere in the 7:50-8:00 range for the first half and then a little faster the second half. I was right on track for most of the first half. I remember thinking I was feeling good, felt like it was happening and by the second half I just could not get my splits under that 7:50. I needed to speed up and it was just not happening. I was holding steady, but not getting that speed up. Right around mile 22 I was inching up on the 3:30 pace group. I caught up to them and was almost there until either they sped up or I slowed down, maybe a combination of both, and then they were gaining on me again. Wait, here I come... almost... there... I can almost touch them... water stop!... wait, where'd they go?!?... It went like this for a couple miles. Somewhere on Summit I passed Todd who was having some nausea issues and looked a little pale. Bummer. I finally made it over that last little hill and saw a beautiful sight... the capital! I cruised down the hill and finished with a 3:31:58. Even though my time goal was a bit short of that, I was extremely happy with the race. Reflecting on it days, weeks and even months later, I am still very happy and learned a lot during the training process. I enjoy running marathons, but especially this very special marathon course. My favorite marathon, by far, is the twin cities and since I will not be running it next year, I was trying to really soak up the race and experience.
A highlight of the day was definitely my fan support out there. A special thanks to my favorite fan, Mike, who trekked with the kids to SIX different spots and cheered me on! It seemed like everywhere I turned there they were and that was a huge gift to me. Thank you!